What are you qualified to use ?

On road, the Road Traffic Act (RTA) states that you must have a current road fund licence, insurance, MOT (if applicable) and appropriate driving licence, but what happens when you venture off highway ? David Heaton of BORDA, the British Off Road Driving Association has the answers. Parts of the RTA apply in addition to HSE / PUWER regulations. A 4×4 is treated like any other piece of work equipment, it must be appropriate for the task and operators must have adequate, appropriate and effective training to use it. You probably don’t want to read any more, it already sounds expensive and time consuming. Not necessarily, BORDA has developed a flexible, cost effect range of training programmes to meet the exact needs of all types of users, with basic, standard and higher levels of training delivered in half, one or two day courses.

All courses cover legal & safety issues, operator policies and a full understanding of the specialist controls, the basic level is suitable for mild conditions leading to moderate and significant conditions with the standard and higher levels. ATV quad bikes and vehicle mounted winch training is also available from BORDA.



Scroll to Top